2014 Summer Research Program (REU)
Participants from 2011 Summer Research Program
- Scientific Research in the Environment
of a Small Liberal Arts College.
Students will be assigned directly to individual faculty members.
Much of the ongoing faculty research is designed with undergraduate
participation in mind (see
Conference Presentations and
Papers with undergraduate co-authors), and REU students and
their research will be the primary focus of the faculty during the summer.
Bucknell University has a strong
tradition of summer undergraduate research, and the physics program
runs in parallel with programs in biology, chemistry, geology, and
- Research Areas -- see
- Pattern Formation and Chaos
- Theoretical Quantum Optics
- Solar Energy
- Theoretical and Computational Statistical Mechanics
- Computational Condensed Matter Physics
- Stipend: $4700
Plus free on-campus apartment-style accommodation and reimbursement
for travel expenses to and from Lewisburg.
- Dates: May 27 - August 1, 2014
- Location in Central Susquehanna Valley
Our location in the ridge and valley province of the central
Appalachian mountains offers plentiful opportunities for outdoor
activities such as hiking, canoeing and kayaking, and mountain biking.
New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore are all within a three-hour
drive from Lewisburg.
- Supplemental Programs:
- End-of-the-summer presentation of results at campus-wide poster session
and in talks to the Physics & Astronomy Department
- GRE preparation classes
- Weekly physics colloquia
- Instructional seminars on scientific computing, library resources,
presentation skills, etc.
- On-campus summer film series and summer concerts and recitals
- Eligibility and Applications:
Participants must be enrolled in a program leading to the bachelor's
degree. Participants must be U.S. citizens or permanent
residents of the U.S. or its possessions. (Persons holding
F-1 student visas are not eligible.)
For full consideration, applications must be received by February 9, 2014.
Applications received after this date will be considered if openings remain.
Electronic submission of application materials is welcomed.
Women, members of minority groups, and persons with disabilities
are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Additional Information
Other NSF Sponsored REU Sites
- Contact Information