Computer Science Department, Bucknell University
Resources on Dia Drawing Tool
CSCI 475 Fall 2004
Professor Dan Hyde
The Dia drawing tool is a great way to draw UML diagrams. This
page is only to get you started using the tool.
- To start the Dia drawing tool on the Suns, type at a Unix
- To draw UML diagrams, select "UML" from the menu in the middle of
the Dia box.
- Dia is very easy to use. Create a new diagram by selecting "New"
from "File" menu. You should see a grid sheet. One quirk with the
human interface is that
you must use the Right Mouse Button to see the menus when you
are on the grid sheet.
- Select the "Create a class" icon and click on the grid to create
a class box. To set the fields in your class box, you first select
the box then from Right Mouse Button menu select "Dialogs >
Properties" (Obvious right?). Now you fill out the form.
- Notice the blue lines on the grid sheet. They are the boundaries of
the printed page. Be warned that it is easy to create UML diagrams
which extend beyond the printed page. I suggest you set Scaling
on File > Page Setup on Right Mouse Button menu.
- That should be enough to get you started.
tutorial for UML diagrams written by Kathy Heise
- Dia home page
Page maintained by Dan Hyde, hyde at bucknell.edu Last update
August 20, 2004
CSCI 475's home page.