Template for short papers and term papers
The Microsoft Word template and formatting instructions provided to you in this class were derived, with very small modifications from the Winter Simulation Conference 2017 Author Kit. (Follow the link if you want to see the original material.) Note that you are not to contact anyone at the Winter Simulation Conference if you run into trouble using the template or if you need clarifications on formatting instructions — contact your instructor for this class instead.
- Implicit Bias Tests
- Diversity in STEM: what it is and why it matters
- 5 numbers that explain why STEM diversity matters to all of us
- Diversity in STEM workforce varies widely across jobs
- The lack of diversity in tech is a cultural issue
- What screens are doing to our eyes and our ability to see
- How to work with unconscious bias in your organization
- What to look for in your Facebook data
- How companies scour our digital lives for clues to our health
- The Sublime and Scary Future of Cameras With A.I. Brains
- Google’s first camera isn’t an evil all-seeing eye. Yet.
- Designing Human-Automation Interaction: a new level of Automation Taxonomy
- Can Artificial Intelligence Be Ethical?
- Public wants Big Tech regulated
- Top priest shares ‘The Ten Commandments of A.I.’ for ethical computing
- Barbie really is a computer engineer
- Computers professionals for social responsibility, Moshe Y. Vardi
- How law and computers science can work together can work together to improve the information society, Chris Marsden
- Engaging the ethics of data science in practice, Solon Barocas and Danah Boyd
- Healthcare Robotics, Laurel D. Riek
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Edging Its Way Into Our Lives
- The Real Risks of Artificial Intelligence, David Lorge Parnas
- Internet Advertising: Technology, Ethics, and a Serious Different of Opinions,
- Do online social media cut through the constraints that limit the size of offline social?
- Twitter deleted 200,000 Russian troll tweets. Read them here.
- What It’s Like to Live in a Surveillance State
- Inside China’s Vast New Experiment in Social Ranking
- Is Your Software Racist?
- Automation could kill 73 million U.S. jobs by 2030
- The Killer Robots are Us
- The Robots Are Coming, and Sweden Is Fine
- Drunk man attacks adorable robot that was just trying to help
- Drunk man kicks ‘humanoid’ robot designed to read emotions in fit of rage in Japan
- Robot fired from grocery store for utter incompetence
- Can A.I. Be Taught to Explain Itself?
- U.S. Soldiers Reveal Sensitive Information with Jogging App
- ‘Living’ Robot Implants are Nothing to Be Squeamish About
- Keep Your Head Up: How Smartphone Addiction Kills Manners and Moods
- Apple will let you choose between your phone’s speed and its battery life
- Addicted to your smartphone?
- It’s Time for Apple to Build a Less Addictive iPhone
- Technology is changing home workouts for the better
- Facebook Will Now Ask Users to Rank News Organizations They Trust
- Inside Uber’s $100,000 Payment to a Hacker, and the Fallout
- How robo-callers outwitted the government and completely wrecked the Do Not Call list
- Twitter Bot Turns Donald Trump’s Tweets into Official White House Statements
- Judge cites presidential tweets as he blocks DACA phaseout
- 10 ways tech will shape your life in 2018, for better and worse
- Snuggle robots and talking toilets
- A week later, YouTube condemns a Logan Paul vlog of a suicide victim’s body
- Confessions of a Digital Nazi Hunter
- The Internet Is Dying. Repealing Net Neutrality Hastens That Death.
On Professional Conduct
- ACM Code of Ethics
- IEEE Code of Ethics
- The Role of Technology and Media in Whistleblowing
- Is WikiLeaks Brave or Unethical?
- Phillips & Cohen Attorneys – successful cases
- Tony Munter Attorneys – whistleblower laws
- National Whistleblower Center – know your rights
- U.S. Intelligence Shuts Down Damning Report on Whistleblower Retaliation