Cemeteries Important to Brake Family
- Belle-Kelly Cemetery located near the Seventh
Day Adventist Camp in Huttonsville, Randolph County, WV. Terri
L. Lucas' great great Grandfather Edward Hadden Brake is buried
there, along with his children, her great grandfather Frank Brake, and
Grandfather, James Edward Brake.
- Brake Cemetery (Jacob Brake and Rachel Jackson Family) is
located at Hodgesville in Upshur Co., WV, on Hacker's Creek Road, on
land behind the Dale Karickhoff residence. The land has been
strip-mined and there are no remaining headstones.
- Brake Cemetery - Buckhannon District South of Buckhannon on
Rt 20, turn
right on Lick Run, about 1 1/4 miles, turn right up a dirt road to the end of
the road. Walk about 300 yards. Cemetery is fenced in with a yellow rope.
- Old Brake/Jackson Cemetery - Warren Jackson, brother of Stonewall,
gravesite. Located on property owned by Gay Rohr - going north out of
Buckhannon on Route 119, approx. 3 miles. Located on the rignt on the corner of
Turkey Run, high on a knoll overlooking Rt. 119.
- Brake Cemetery, Brake located 15 miles south of Moorefield, Hardy
Co., WVA on Southbranch Road. Larger Brake Family Cemetery of two (the
cemetery east of Southbranch Road) is located
across from old Leonard Brake house, Brake, Hardy County, WVA.
- Brake Cemetery, Hacker
Valley, Webster County, WV The Brake Cemetery is located approximately 4.5 miles east of Hacker Valley on County Road 3-8 at the top of Brake Mountain.
- French Creek Cemetery is located in Meade District of Upshur County
at the French Creek Presbyterian Church.
- Hampton Cemetery - Buckhannon District Take Rt. 20 South of Buckhannon 2.1
miles past the B-U Middle School at Tennerton. Turn left (east) on Upshur
County Rt. 22. At Hampton Heights (little log store), turn left. Cemetery is
adj. To the Hampton United Methodist Church, abt. 1/3 mile past the church on
Upshur County Rt. 22/1.
- IOOF Fairview/Friendship Cemetery is located in the northeastern
section of Lewis County, WV. To reach it from Jane Lew, take the Berlin Road
(County Route 7) approx. 2 miles. Cemetery lies on the right side of the road
in a curve, and across from the Fairview Methodist Church. It is well kept and
in excellent condition. Cemeteries of Lewis County, WV. Compiled by Matha
Byrd, HCPD Cemetery Committee
- Jackson's Mill Cemetery from Weston take US Route 19 north to the
Jackson's Mill road on the left which is county Route 12. Travel about 1½
miles to a cement bridge over the West Fork River. The road now becomes County
Route 10. Stay on this road past the mill on the right. The cemetery is
directly across from the Mill property and is fenced and well maintained.
Vol. VI1 Cemeteries of Lewis County, WV. Compiled by Matha Byrd, HCPD
- LORENTZ CEMETERY is located 6 miles west of Buckhannon, West Virginia on
Rt 33, adjacent to the Lorentz United Methodist Church. Church was est.
- McVANEY CEMETERY located in Warren District in the northeast section of
Upshur County on Hacker's Creek, County Road #1. Turn onto a dirt road between
Co. Rd 1/6 and 1/5 just below the Pleasant Valley Church. The cemetery is up a
very steep winding quarter mile driveway that would be difficult for most
vehicles to travel. The cemetery has good fencing and the grass appears to
have regular mowing. This cemetery was read in 1983 by Haroldine and Kenneth
Stalnaker in June 1983 and at a later time by Karon King and Lemoyne Wentz
- MCWHORTER CEMETERY - located in Harrison Co., WV on Rt. 25 north of Jane
Lew, Lewis Co., WV.
- Milford Center Cemetery - located in Union Township, Union County,
Ohio. Brake family members buried there include:
Al Brake 1869-1954
Blanche Brake 1887-1957
Emma A. Brake 1865-1966
James Brake 1862-1942
Marie Brake 1896
Ona Brake wife of AL Brake
Walter Brake 1887-1971
- Morrison Cemetery is one of the oldest in Lewis County, WV. It is
located approximately one mile west of Berlin on the Hacker's Creek road on the
farm of Paul alkire. To gain entrance to this well fenced cemetery, go through
the gate in the pasture fence on the north side of the road about 50 feet west
of the historical marker to the John Hacker Settlement. The cemetery is
directly north of the gate about 500 feet. Vol. 1 Cemeteries of Lewis
County, WV. Compiled by Matha Byrd, HCPD Cemetery Committee.
- MT ZION CEMETERY - Peck's Run U. B. Church. From Buckhannon, WV
take Rt. 20 north to intersection of Rt. 20N and Rt. 119. Right turn onto Rt.
119. Cemetery is on left side of the road on hillside.
- New Mill Creek Cemetery - Liberty Township, Ohio. On the
Lunda Road about 2/10ths mile north of St Rt 347 is
Mill Creek Church of Christ. Around behind the Church is the New Mill
Creek Cemetery. Brake family members buried there include:
M. J. Brake Co K 196th Ohio Infantry (military stone)
Michael J. Brake 1846-1883 Co. F
Louisa L. Brake 1850-1941
Michael Brake Sr. 1797-1879
Mary Brake 1809-1868
Amy Brake 1877- blank
- PHILIP REGER CEMETERY - Buckhannon District, located at Red Rock on
county Road 5/6. This cemetery is fenced and in good condition. Most stones
are old and hard to read.
- PLEASANT VIEW CEMETERY located 7.1 miles from the courthouse of
Buckhannon, Upshur Co., WV, on Rt 20 North. On right side of the road on high
- ROCK CAVE CEMETERY located in Upshur Co., WV on the
main road south from Buckhannon. The cemetery is just past French
Creek. The cemetery is just west of the center of town...hard to
miss. Images of Some Brake tombstones in the cemetery.
- STUMP-TANNER CEMETERY
located near Zanesville, in
Muskingham Co., OH.
- Vandalia Cemetery is located on a hill overlooking the village of
Vandalia, in southern Lewis Co, WV. The cemetery is along the Skin Creek road
in the northern part of Vandalia. Vol. II Cemeteries of Lewis
Compiled by Matha Byrd, HCPD Cemetery Committee.
- Waterloo Cemetery is located in Meade District in Upshur Co.
Page maintained by Dan Hyde, hyde at bucknell.edu Last update
May 27 1999
Copyright © 1999
By Daniel C. Hyde