- Logon to the computer which is a World Wide Web (WWW) server.
At Bucknell this is the machine called coral. If you do not have an
account on coral you need to acquire one.
- Create a directory called "public_html" in your home
% mkdir public_html
- Move to the new "public_html" directory.
% cd public_html
- Copy a sample student home page into your account and
call it "index.html". This will be your WWW home page.
% cp ~hyde/public_html/student-home.html index.html
[If you are a faculty member, copy
- Use your favorite editor, e. g., emacs, to edit the new
file index.html and insert information about yourself.
% emacs index.html
Note: For help on using the HyperText Markup Language (HTML), read
Beginner's Guide to HTML.
- Finally, you need to make sure:
- that the index.html file is readable by everyone else;
% chmod 644 index.html
- that the public_html directory is readable/executable
by everyone else and
% chmod 755 public_html
- that your home directory is also readable/executable
by everyone else.
% chmod 755 ~
- Following these steps will set your home page URL to be:
- Try out your new home page using Mosaic.