Prof. Rich Kozick
Steps in the Mesh-Current Method
- Define the "mesh currents" ia, ib,
- Write KVL around each mesh.
- Solve the resulting set of
simultaneous linear equations for the mesh currents.
- If desired, other voltages and currents in the circuit may
be obtained from the mesh currents.
Dealing with current sources:
- Avoid writing equations that require the voltage
across a current source.
- Current sources directly relate mesh currents,
and sometimes reduce the number of simultaneous equations.
- Supermeshes allow you to write KVL around a larger loop
(involving more than one mesh current).
Then current sources "inside" the supermesh
provide another equation to relate the mesh currents.