Prof. Rich Kozick
ELEC 320: Homework Assignment 16
Date Assigned: Monday, November 2, 1998
Date Due: Wednesday, November 4, 1998
Reading: Chapter 4, Sections 4.3 and 4.4.
Lab: Please decide on a lab project by November 5 and 10
so that we can begin working on them.
- Please study Example 4.7 in the text on pages 166-167.
Do your best to write down all of the steps required to show that
the Fourier transform of a rectangular pulse is a ``sinc'' function.
This is one of the most important Fourier transform pairs
to understand - it arises in many applications.
You do not have to submit anything for this item.
- Find the Fourier transform of the functions and
using the definition of the Fourier
transform, not the table.
In other words, compute the integral that defines the Fourier
transform for these time functions.
(Hint: Recall the ``sifting'' property of impulse functions.)
- Sketch , , and .Label the amplitude at t=0 and the zero-crossing points.
- Sketch .Find the inverse Fourier transform x(t) using the tables,
and sketch x(t).
- What is the Fourier transform of ?
Sketch the 2-sided amplitude spectrum.