Discussion: Fat Man and Little Boy
** We WILL have class on Friday, September 14. **
- Was the damage caused in Japan by the bomb justified?
Please consider the following quote from yesterday:
"We will make no distinction between the terrorists who
committed these acts and those who harbor them."
Did the terrorist tragedies of September 11 affect your views on this?
President Bush, September 11, 2001,
from the Oval Office of the White House as he
Discuss how Gen. Groves and Dr. Oppenheimer (Oppy) misunderstood each
other's "cultures": high security for the military, free discussion
for the scientists. What are your current expectations for the
"culture" you will encounter next year in your job or graduate school?
- Discuss the ethical concerns of the scientists, and Oppy's statements:
Suppose you are an engineer on a team that develops an information system
(e.g., spy network) that eventually leads to mass destruction
in an act of war.
Is this different than direct involvement with developing a bomb?
- "We solved a technical problem; we are not
responsible for how the device is used."
- "Everyone else in the world will get a bomb if we don't do it first."
- Discuss the roles that women and minorities played in the
development of the A-bomb.