ELEC 400 Homework and Project Assignments, Fall 2001
- Read the article "So, You're Going to be a Member of a Team ..."
by Patricia L. Philips.
Finish your team contracts, and submit a typed contract that is
signed by all team members on Wednesday, September 5, at 10 AM.
Include your team name on your contract.
Your team contract should contain two lists:
Bring your team contracts to the ELEC 480 lab sessions.
- Responsibilities of the individual to the team
- Responsibilities of the team to the individual
RFP #1: Pulse-width modulator
Continue reading The Soul of a New Machine.
At minimum, read chapters 1-3 (pp. 1-66) by Monday, September 17.
Draft #2 of PWM proposal due
Please finish reading The Soul of a New Machine by Monday,
- Develop a model of the PWM solution for customer demonstration
on Friday, November 2.
In order for the customer to accept your system, you must
prove that you satisfy all specifications!
- Please begin reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Read Part 1 (up to page 79) and begin Part 2 (up to about page 200)
by October 29.
- Continue to prepare the following for the PWM demonstration
on Friday, November 2:
Based on your November 2 presentation, a decision will be made
on whether your group will be asked to develop the production model.
- Demonstration of your circuit, showing that you satisfy
all specifications (with explanations of "modifications"
by the customer).
- A draft of technical documentation for your circuit.
(Refer to documentation for existing lab equipment for guidance.)
- Develop printed circuit board (PCB) designs for your PWM projects.
The PCB designs are due on Monday, November 12.
The process is as follows.
Each 3 (or 4) member team should develop an independent PCB
- Download the PCB software (for free) from
- We will check your design several times during the week of
November 12 to decrease the probability of errors!
- We will email your design to Tom Thul, he will email the design
to Express PCB (and pay the bill!), and we will receive the PCBs
in about three days.
We will review all of the designs during the week of November 12.
One "digital" and one "analog" design will be finalized for implementation.
- RFP #2, Senior Design Project:
Rough draft due Monday, November 12.
- Continue reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance, and finish by November 14 or 16.
Mechanical Engineering Design Projects
Essay on Books and Films