|<Previous||August | September | October | November | December||Next>|
Lecture 12: Relativistic Momentum and Energy
October 3, 2017
- Read: Supplementary Reading CH 4
- Study: Exs 1, 2, 3, 4; Table 4.1
- (Continuing objective) Relate the concepts of relativity, momentum, and oscillations to “everyday” situations and discuss various applications of the concepts to practical problems in various fields of science, medicine and engineering.
- Use the velocity transformations to relate velocities as measured in different references frames.
- Describe the modifications in the definitions of momentum and energy needed to maintain invariance of the conservation laws.
- Given any two of p, E, u, K, and m for a particle, determine any of the others.
- Use the invariance of a particle's mass to relate the particle's energy and momentum in one reference frame to those measured from a different frame.
- Specialize any of the equations relating p, E, u, K, and m to zero-mass particles.
- Wednesday's Assigned Problems:
A35; Supp CH 4: 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 14, 20, 16, 17, 18
Notes: We suggest trying Supp CH 4 #20 after #14.
- Hand-In Problems due THURSDAY, October 12, 9:30 a.m.: A36; Supp CH 4: 4, 9, 11, 13, 15; Supp CH 5: 3, 8, 9, 12
- Click here for the Lecture overheads
or here for full-size version.
Answers to ConcepTests: (1) 5; (2) 5; (3) 3, 4 and 6; (4) 1; (5) 3
Videos of example problemsTo see the problem statement, click on the link below. To play the video example, click on the underlined words "Video Demonstration" near the top of the page with the problem statement.
- Video Example #1: Relativity, mass and momentum. ans: (a) 19.4 MeV/c2; (b) 19.4 MeV/c2; (c) 22.9 MeV/c.
- Video Example #2: Relativity and energy. ans: 11.2 GeV
Nobel Prize for gravitational waves - first detected 100 years after Einstein's prediction. Amazingly cool experiment. https://t.co/v3sa4kpo2f— Tom Solomon (@TheChaoticBird) October 3, 2017
- I Will Survive, by Cake
- It Won't Be Long, by the Beatles
- I Saw Her Standing There, by the Beatles
- I'm a Loser, by the Beatles
- I'm a Little Airplane, by Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers
- I Ran, by Flock of Seagulls
- It's Alright For You, by The Police