More Screencast Production Technology

Standard

Videoscribe: creates animations of hands scribbling text. Could be used to produce an attention grabbing moment in screencasts and/or videos. Subscription based model at the rate of $25/month, which seems excessive to me. I’d have to have hard evidence that the scribbling hand animation produces a significant cognitive impact that justifies the expense. Since the data is certainly not coming, I’m not buying.

ScreenFlow: easy to use, great alternative to record and edit screen casts all in one package. Costs $99, but it is definitely worth it. It seems to me, so far, that I have to record the entire screen, but cropping the video is easy and fast. The time that it takes to render the video, with very good quality, is incredibly shorter than what you get with iMovie. You can annotate the videos easily. I can easily add stills into the movie, if I want. This means that I can simplify the workflow I had before where I generated stills from Keynote/PowerPoint slides to insert in the iMovie project. I say ‘simplify’ because my previous workflow included several steps involving SnapzProX, Keynote, and iMovie. I can now do it all with just ScreenFlow.

Mouseposé: this is a really neat program to give your mouse cursor better visibility in screencasts. I bought this for $4.99 from the OS X App Store and it was definitely worth the price. It seems to be available for free, possibly even legally on the web. Works nicely with ScreenFlow.

Camtasia: another alternative for screen recording and editing, with a $99 price tag. Available for both Mac and Windows. I haven’t tried it and probably won’t since it replicates much of what ScreenFlow is doing nicely for me.

Screenium: I didn’t love this any more than my previous workflow of recording with SnapzProX and stitching short clips together with iMovie. I know of people who really use this well and love it, though. This is more affordable than other options costing $40.