- Associate Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
Bucknell University, since May 2013.
- Marie Curie Incoming International Fellow,
Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Germany, Academic Year 2010/2011.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering,
Bucknell University, July 2007 - May 2013.
- Assistant Professor, Electrical Engineering Department,
Penn State University, August 2002 - June 2007.
- Adjunct Faculty, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department,
University of Michigan, Academic Year 2001/2002.
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2001.
- M.S.E. in Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor Michigan, 1997.
- Dipl.-Ing. in Electrical Engineering, Rheinisch-Westfälische
Technische Hochschule, Aachen, Germany, 1995.
- Speech Signal Processing and Speech Modelling.
- Speech Coding, Synthesis, and Enhancement.
- Automatic Speech/Speaker/Language Recognition.
- Detection, Estimation, and Classification Theory.
- General Signal and Systems Theory and Time-Frequency Analysis.
"Corpus-Based Speech Enhancement with Uncertainty Modeling and Cepstral Smoothing," R. M. Nickel, R. F. Astudillo, D. Kolossa, and R. Martin, IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, Vol. 21, No. 5, May 2013, pp. 983-997.
"Inventory-Based Audio-Visual Speech Enhancement," D. Kolossa, R. M. Nickel, S. Zeiler, and R. Martin, 13th Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association (INTERSPEECH 2012), Portland, Oregon, September 9-13, 2012.
"Inventory-Style Speech Enhancement with Uncertainty-of-Observation Techniques," by R. M. Nickel, R. F. Astudillo, D. Kolossa, S. Zeiler, and R. Martin, Proceedings of the International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2012), Kyoto, Japan, March 25-30, 2012, pp. 4645-4648.
"Memory and Complexity Reduction for Inventory-Style Speech Enhancement Systems," by R. M. Nickel and R. Martin, Proceedings of the 19th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO 2011), Barcelona, Spain, August 29 - September 2, 2011, pp. 196-200.
"Speech Enhancement with Inventory Style Speech Resynthesis," by X. Xiao and R. M. Nickel, IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, Vol. 18, No. 6, Aug. 2010, pp. 1243-1257.
"Fast Algorithms for Inventory Based Speech Enhancement," R. M. Nickel, T. Sugimoto, X. Xiao, in Signal Processing, Sebastian Miron (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-7619-91-6, INTECH, pp. 415-427, 2010.
"Inventory Based Speech Enhancement for Speaker Dedicated Speech Communication Systems," X. Xiao, P. Lee, R. M. Nickel, Proceedings of the International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Taipei, Taiwan, April 2009, pp. 3877-3880.
"Automatic Speech Character Identification," R. M. Nickel, A Tutorial Article for the IEEE Circuits and Systems Magazine, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 8-29, 2006.